no stories yet
Set out by Major Joseph Sommerville in 1892, Sommerville Range was the first to be built here. The concrete gallery walls were built in about 1940 to meet the heavy demands of pre-deployment training for World War Two. In its heyday, Sommerville Range was 1000 yards long, but with expansion of barrack accommodation and the Camp golf course, it was gradually reduced down to 300 yards. Unfortunately the Sommerville Range gallery was painted in about 1990, covering over much of the historic graffiti, but some good examples still remain.
You can see an overview of how the individual images fit together here.
The Sommerville Range was photographed in approximately one metre sections from right to left - however they are displayed from left to right (reverse order). Each wall section is represented below by a thumbnail image of the vertical elevation. Click on the thumbnail to see a close up of the vertical elevation and any other views of this section of wall (if available) - including the ceiling and/or connecting sections.
Training charge at Sommerville Range (1956) - Alexander Turnbull Library, EP/1956/0312-F
NZ Defence Force Trentham Rifle Ranges Graffiti Wall (16th Dec 2014). Sommerville Range. In Website NZ Defence Force Trentham Rifle Ranges Graffiti Wall. Retrieved 24th Mar 2018 13:30, from http://graffiti.uhcl.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/3